We had a great experience tabling at SLC back in 2010 and - working within our own budget constraints - want to help up to ten POC attend this year’s fest who might otherwise not be able to because of financial hardship.
Many of you have expressed interest in this offer, so here are the updated details about how to get a free roundtrip ride to SLC through POC Zine Project:
SLC QUEER/FEMINIST ZINE FEST EVENT DETAILS
Location: Sarah Lawrence College
Date: November 10, 2012 (Saturday)
Time: 12pm - 6pm
Street: 1 Mead Way
City/Town: Bronxville, NY
A zine fest focusing on feminist and queer zines. The event will feature tables for zinesters to sell zines and merch, readings, a panel on zine culture and the importance of zines, and zine making workshops!
Contact Ciaran Rhodes at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more information.
There will be three reading times throughout the day (they will have a sign up sheet when you arrive), a panel on zine/DIY culture, and a zine making workshop.
***SUBMISSION DIRECTIONS (DEADLINE TO APPLY IS OCTOBER 25, 2012!)***
1. Via the “submit" option on Tumblr, please send the following information:
- Location (City and State)
- Zines (names of those you have created, it’s fine if you haven’t made any)
- Email (so we can follow up with additional questions/logistical information)
- Why do you want to attend SLC Queer/Feminist Zine Fest? What do you hope to get out of this experience?
- Occupation/latest projects (let us know a little bit about you)
- Related links (any links that will help us know more about you)
- Preferred pronoun/s
2. Please indicate if you are willing to help us with tabling at SLC and if you are interested in sharing our table to distribute your own zines, art, etc.
3. If you don’t have a Tumblr account, please email all the above information to firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line please write “SLC SUBMISSION.”
1. You must be a person of color. This invitation is open to POC only.
2. You don’t have to be an NYC resident - you just have to be able to get to the TBA midtown manhattan location where folks will be departing from, and have a way to get home from that location after the fest is over. We cannot help you with additional cab fare or other transportation beyond the round trip offering.
3. Be prepared to bring your own beverages and food (lunch and snacks) as we don’t know what the meal situation will be or what the prices will be on campus. It’s just generally a good idea to come with your own food and beverages.
4. You must be at least 18 years old or, if not, submit anyway and email email@example.com to work out permission with a parent/coordinate those details. Parental consent for minors is required.
5. By participating in this free offer, you agree to write a 2-5 (or more if you want!) paragraph about your experience at the fest and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2012. This is part of our research on community and inclusion.
1. We can only provide free roundtrip support for up to ten people of color! Make sure you submit before the deadline to be eligible (Oct 25, 2012).
2. If you are coming from out of state to participate, it’s possible that we can connect you with a place to stay overnight if needed (you will need to cover your own way to get to NYC though). So if you’re interested, apply anyway!
3. You, along with a POC Zine Project rep and the other nine attendees, will be taking the Metro-North Railroad Harlem Line to the Bronxville stop. POCZP will then pay for the short cab ride to and from SLC. You will need to have proper ID just in case.
4. This sponsorship is for those facing financial hardship and is honor system based.
5. We are offering free rides for up to ten POC because we recognize the disconnect between DIY communities, and how events that are often advertised as inclusive are in reality only accessible to those who can afford to attend. We see value in the events that happen at SLC and want to support more POC having access to these experiences.
We model behavior we want to see in the world and hope that in the future, SLC (and other universities that host zine events) will consider providing free transportation for some out-of-city attendees who face financial hardship.
Multiple departments can work together as event sponsors to make something like this happen <3
- POC Zine Project
- cestuncoupdetat reblogged this from poczineproject
- cestuncoupdetat likes this
- thedfl likes this
- malditapress reblogged this from poczineproject and added:
- malditapress likes this
- madcapcat likes this
- hustlingfortime likes this
- mendmydresspress reblogged this from poczineproject
- brujacore likes this
- neharaysays likes this
- officialsmokescreen reblogged this from poczineproject
- officialsmokescreen likes this
- poczineproject posted this