Ten days have passed since our Race Riot! tour finale event at Death By Audio in Brooklyn. Our last tour date had the most amount of people in attendance, and zine partner sales were higher than any other stop on our tour, so thank you NYC for your love and support!
We’re going to do a zine and art book about our first tour experience, (details coming soon) so for now, here are some beautiful moments from October 7, 2012:
Photo by Mimi Thi Nguyen
- POC Zine Project’s Race Riot! Tour attendees at Death by Audio on Oct 7, 2012
- Mimi Thi Nguyen reads at Death By Audio
- Leshaun lovell (l) Share roman (m) and Jade Fair (r) at POCZP’s Race Riot! Tour stop at Death By Audio on Oct 7
- DJ Shomi Noise holding her zines Building Up Emotional Muscles #1-3 at Death By Audio on Oct 7
- Shady Hawkins perform at Death By Audio
Photo by Mary Christmas
- Joan Chen came all the way from the west coast and brought Bay Area poc zines for the archive! <3 Thanks, Joan!
- Back of crowd during Anna Vo’s reading at Death By Audio
Photo by Mimi Thi Nguyen
- Osa Atoe, creator of the Shotgun Seamstress series (out now on Mend My Dress Press), reads at Death By Audio
- Aye Nako performs at Death By Audio
Photo by thetenderestheart
- Part of POC Zine Project’s Race Riot! Mall at Death By Audio
Photo by Mimi Thi Nguyen
MEMORIES FROM THE EVENT
The venue was PACKED and at a certain point (about halfway through the show) we had to ask everyone who was sitting to stand up so that a horde of folks waiting in line outside could get in. Like all of our other tour stops, the door cover was sliding scale/pay what you can with no one turned away for lack of funds.
Although DBA had a cash bar, people kept it together and the energy overall was amazing. Around 9pm, after I had made sure the projector was working, we kicked things off.
Jamie Varriale Vélez, our local guest reader, did an amazing job and was super brave (she read first). Race Riot! crew Osa, Anna Vo, Mimi Thi Nguyen and Cristy C. Road followed. I played MC, worked at the Race Riot! mall, dealt with problems as they came up and took some of the photos you see in this post.
BIG THANKS to Cristy C. Road for coordinating our finale event logistics, Death By Audio for allowing us to use the venue and all the DBA folks who handled sound and door needs.
I’m probably forgetting to thank a million people but we’ll get it together for the zine and art book that we’re doing for the tour.
We’ll have more candids and quotes from tour members and attendees in the weeks to come.
Thanks again, you reading this right now, for your interest and support. This is an experiment in community and activism through materiality. If you took any photos or video of this event and are willing to share so we can add it to our documentation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. <3
If you’re interested in developing your digital media and community organizing skills by interning for POC Zine Project, email email@example.com.
We can provide college credit or, if you’re not enrolled at an accredited university, professional mentorship. Meatspace internships will take place at DCAP Media HQ in NYC. Telecommuting/remote production internships are also available.
1) We’re doing a zine about this tour, so if you were part of any of the events, let us know if you want to contribute by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) We’re doing a national conference in 2014.
3) We’re doing a west coast tour in 2013.
4) If you want to be a part of any upcoming POCZP events, let us know.
5) We love you.
ABOUT POC ZINE PROJECT
POC Zine Project’s mission is to make zines by people of color easy to find, distribute and share - community and activism through materiality. We took the Race Riot! tour through 12 cities from Sept 24 - Oct 7, 2012.
All tour dates: http://bit.ly/PeEgaR
TOUR RECAPS ARCHIVE
Oct 7: Death By Audio - Brooklyn
Oct 3: Skylab - Columbus
Oct 2: Rachael’s Cafe - Bloomington
Sept 30: multikulti - Chicago
Sept 28: The Trumbullplex - Detroit
Sept 26: Mr. Roboto Project - Pittsburgh
Sept 25: The Wooden Shoe - Philly
Sept 24: 538 Johnson - NYC - Brooklyn
All photos should be credited to Daniela Capistrano/POC Zine Project unless otherwise noted. Please be sure to credit and link to poczineproject.tumblr.com if you reblog individual pics. Tx! <3
- elisimo likes this
- ghostinterloper likes this
- lavenderbitters likes this
- lavenderbitters reblogged this from poczineproject and added:
- hotpinkchaos likes this
- yesysabella reblogged this from brujacore
- ourwordscutandthrust likes this
- radicalnewballet likes this
- jordanvkifer likes this
- cestuncoupdetat reblogged this from poczineproject and added:
- cestuncoupdetat likes this
- zine-reviews likes this
- femmesaxifrage reblogged this from brujacore
- ayatollahofsass reblogged this from brujacore and added:
- jamiesinverguenza likes this
- brujacore reblogged this from poczineproject and added:
- brujacore likes this
- poczineproject likes this
- rolloncolumbia reblogged this from poczineproject and added:
- ruzansan likes this
- poczineproject posted this